Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A typical day in Copán Ruinas...

...begins with breakfast (el desayuno) around 7:30am. Breakfast usually consists of cornflakes, half a cup of coffee (gradually tapering up...first tea, then decaf, now half a cup...), a banana, and pancakes/toast/other starch. I walk four hilly blocks to school.

Guacamaya Spanish School

Enrique "Kike" Carillo, the director of Guacamaya

Cesia and I meet for 4 hours. We converse, go over grammar and vocab, play games, and read. Es muy divertido and estoy aprendiendo mucho. Hace ocho años que he hablado español and I'm a bit rusty.

Cesia and me playing a game of Spanish Scrabble

After class, I walk home and each lunch (el almuerzo) con Bruce. I often take a quick siesta after lunch and then do a little sightseeing. I visited the museum downtown, the Mayan ruins (after which Copan is named), and the Macaw Mountain Bird Park and Nature Reserve.

Museum

Holding a Guacamaya (Honduran National Bird) at Macaw Mountain Bird Park

Copan Mayan Ruins

I come back for dinner (la cena) around 6:30pm and often will just sit and chat con mi familia or Bruce. After dinner, I study and complete mi tarea (homework) for the following day. I often go to the beautiful Hotel Marina or the hip-boho Via Via Cafe because they have wifi. At times, I wish I had wifi at home, but more often than not I'm glad that I don't. I'm not in denial that I'm an internet addict; not having it 24/7 is helping my addiction and showing me that I can survive sans computers. Joy!

Beautiful Hotel Marina where I often work on my comp (sorry so blurry)

In addition, on Wednesday evenings there is salsa dancing at Via Via, on Friday & Saturday evenings there is dancing at Via Via, Barcito and Papa Changos, and on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesdays, there are movies shown at Via Via.

Salsa dancing at Via Via (sorry so blurry)

There are also a lot of cute open air places to meet with friends or grab a snack. A lot of people just hang out in el Parque Central, the Central Plaza. On Saturday in particular, it was really happening and seemed like the place to see and be seen. I felt underdressed (and old) as I enjoyed a licuado with Caro en el Parque last Saturday. ;)

El Parque Central

Mosquito bite count: 10

No comments:

Post a Comment